- This event has passed.
Should You Recycle Plastic Bottles With the Cap ON or OFF?
October 12 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Recycle your Plastic Bottles with the Plastic Caps(KEXON) ON the bottles. If the caps are placed in the recycle bin separate from the bottle, they will essentially get lost and end up in the landfill.
“But wait… I thought it was off” you might say. It used to be that way. Caps were made of more than one type of plastic melted together that made recycling virtually impossible.
A couple years ago, the Plastic Bottle Council ruled that caps should only be made of one kind of plastic to promote more recycling. Now that most plastic bottle caps are all made of the same, single material, recyclers can separate them out.
Here is how the recycling process works:
1. You recycle your bottle with cap on
2. Bottle and cap are sorted out from the rest of your recycling (paper, metal, glass, etc) and baled
3. Bottle and cap go to a Bottle Washing Plant
4. Bottles and caps are chopped into little bitty bits called “flake” and washed with water
5. When washed, the cap flake floats and the bottle flake sinks
6. The cap flake is strained off of the washing tank, dried, and sent to be made into composite lumber (plastic decking material)
Click Lotion Pump to learn about more information