- This event has passed.
Encaustics for the Novice with Kimberly Hart
March 16 @ 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
This workshop is a mini overview to encaustics that gives students a practical introduction to the encaustic process. You have a chance to explore the process in a safe comfortable work environment. The workshop is ideal for anyone curious or interested in encaustic painting.
Skill level: novice to beginner
We will Cover:
- Primer to wax
- Health and safety
- How to start encaustics
- Basic techniquesTechniques:
• Preparing an encaustic ground
• Inscribed Lines
• Image transfer using toner images, trace monotype and transfer paper
Materials supplied by student:
• Old metal spoon • Scissors
• Black and white copies of photo or motif image copied from a copier using toner • Clay tools
Materials supplied by instructor:
• Oil sticks
• Color wax • Clay tools
• 2- 7″x7″ Substraight for encaustics
• Heating elements
About the instructor:
Kimberly is an artist and a teacher, who makes visual stories from dreams and memory, intuitively layering color to create imagery, offering the beauty of spontaneity and the element of surprise. She has worked in encaustic for ten years. Her work exhibition at the Huntsville Museum of Art and at the Wiregrass Museum of Art Biennial. She received a BA from the University of Alabama, Huntsville.